Last night, we went to our cousin's house to meet our great aunt who's a Yoga Master.
It was sort of a Christmas party combined with a reunion among relatives from my mother side. I have lots of relatives who I'm not familiar with, and my great aunt was one of them. Due to the fact that she lived in the US, I never saw her (possibly when I was a baby but maybe not, heard her say she's been out of the country for 50 years) until today. I never even knew I had a great aunt who was practicing Yoga. She's a renowned yoga master and psychic healer. She taught us some moves but my sister and I were in the other room because it was crowded outside so we didn't really learn much.
Anyway, it's remarkable that she does this for free. She teaches doctors and famous people and doesn't get paid for it, if ever she does she donates it to charity. She's been to lots of places including Finland, Zurich, Australia, US, India and many others that I can't remember. She's got a compilation of articles, programs, letters and pictures dating from around 1960's. I heard she'll be giving a speech next week in UP. To top that all of she's good at speaking English! :)) Refreshing to see an old Chinese lady speak in fluent English.
It's cool that she knows Michael Caine @.@ She even has a picture with Elizabeth Taylor in the early years and autographs from different people. She was supposed to meet Michael Caine in Honolulu because he was/is shooting a film there called Mystery Island, will come out 2-3 months from now according to her. I just can't digest the fact that someone I know actually knows someone from Hollywood. LOL.
Because of this reunion I've thought about the stories from my mother about my relatives on her side. The 'Guy's'. Here in the Philippines I think if you know anyone with that surname there's a high chance that he/she is my relative. :)) I heard from my mother that I have uncles who are remarkable as well. My great aunt is from my mother's father side and my great uncles are from my mother's mother side. I have uncles who are practitioners of martial arts, not sure what though and I don't really remember if it's martial arts or what but something is that field. He's also an expert in Chinese medicines and herbs but unfortunately he already passed away. I also have a great uncle who's a math wiz, I think he ranks 3rd in the region or country.
Other stories include stories from the past that are memorable for most people, like the Tiannanmen square. I have a great uncle who died there, but not because he was shot, but because he accidentally shot himself. @.@ Died at a young age of 19 I think. I think I also have a relative who worked for the Emperor of China, he was a secretary I think. My great grand father sported the Manchurian hairstyle and even had the beard. I also had this great uncle who was given a special bowl from a friend, it was said that this bowl was actually used by the Emperor of China himself. But my great uncle did not believe his friend thinking it was a joke, he used it as a food container for his cat only to find out that it was worth a LOT of money. Like 30 million RBP which today would equal to 210 million pesos. It was such a waste, not only because it was worth a lot, it cracked, the cat broke it. I think that having a bowl used by the Emperor of China is AWESOME, the history of it, just amazing, degraded into a cat bowl.
I just love hearing stories about the past especially about my relatives. I feel proud to be related to people as remarkable as they are and one day I hope to maybe be like them, make my relatives proud that they're related to me. :))
ang cool ng family history mo!
ReplyDeletehahaha! pero di ko sila kilala =))
ReplyDelete