Saturday, December 18, 2010

Muay Thai Boxing

I've been tagging along with Jerrick for Muay Thai lessons. For the past two Sundays I've been Boxing at Elorde and I was supposed to try boxing at Sarreal but then Sia and Jerrick convinced me to try Muay Thai instead and so I did. 


Overall boxing and muay thai are great exercise workouts and trainings. I like how you constantly move and you have a trainer to guide you with moves, footwork and the like. I like the combos the most because it's hands on and you get to throw punches and kicks for practice and training. 


Muay Thai vs Boxing:


I think I like Muay Thai now because there are kicks involved. But with boxing it feels much simpler, because there are so many moves to memorize with Muay Thai. Nonetheless it feels more engaging and the routine overall at Sarreal beats Elorde's. 


At Sarreal:
First 20 minutes of cardio at Sarreal is already a killer. After that is intense stretching and sometimes strength training? like push-ups, squats, squat-thrusts, etc. Sometimes we get to use the speed ball but then I really don't know how to use it properly. I have yet to master punching it the right way. :)) Then the combos, cool down and finally mat exercise. After that the trainer will perform stretching and you'll feel like you just entered the gym ready for another round. 


At Elorde:
Light exercise, running 10 laps around the ring, a bit of stretching and warm up exercises. Speed ball, track ball and hands-on training comes after that. Per round you get to switch from one activity to the other. Then there's also an exercise for footwork and squat moves I don't really know what that is called but my thighs always hurt after the exercise. After that we get to do sit ups and crunches with the medicine ball. Mat exercise and stretching comes after and then it's done. 


I think both are good workouts but personally I think Muay Thai is more strenuous than boxing. I feel tired after the 20 minute cardio workout. My body ached the next day and the day after that. Although my body ached after boxing, I didn't feel that much intensity in my workout at Elorde but then both are fun and exciting. 


If ever I'll be continuing with my workout I'll have to buy sweat pants because I only have 1 pair of jogging pants which is the DLSU PE uniform. I'll also be needing running or training shoes, already have hand wraps, want to buy possibly gloves in the future and other training stuff.


Though this may be expensive, I think it's worth every centavo. :)) 

No comments:

Post a Comment