Saturday, December 11, 2010

The silver lining on the autism cloud

My younger brother is autistic and he's already 19, the same age as some of my friends. Ever since I was little, I thought of what it would be like for him to be like us, without his autism. As a child I never really understood him, even until today I find it hard to understand him. But I wouldn't have it any other way, his being autistic makes him so unique actually. 


The reason why I suddenly blogged about him is because I heard him say something real funny earlier today. But before that another side story to explain the situation. My brother is big, he loves eating and my father even joked to his friends one time that his special talent is eating. (They say autistic people have special talents) Anyway, to control his eating habits, my older brother told him to stop eating and regulate what he eats. Naturally he couldn't understand why his eating was being regulated and he just throws tantrums when you regulate the portions he gets. So one day, my older brother told him about the seven deadly sins, one of them being gluttony. And with the magical information source both reliable and unreliable we have today or more commonly known as the internet, my autistic brother searched what it meant as well as the seven deadly sins.


For a time he was being so paranoid because he thought he was going to hell because my older brother told him he was being gluttonous and it's one of the seven deadly sins. He already has this thing where he imagines things, I don't really know if it's real or not because he's autistic and it's complicated. And honestly I got kind of scared as well because he was suddenly talking to Jesus and God. Anyway it mellowed down now but he constantly blurts out "Sorry Jesus" with a certain specific tone (that me and my sister can do because we love copying him - hey mimicking is a form of flattery :))). 


Earlier today he blurted out the same thing again "Sorry Jesus" but that wasn't all, maybe he's feeling the Yuletide seasons and the holiday is coming fast which I guess is why he also said "Sorry God, -- *paused for a moment* Sorry Santa". LOL.


This is why I love my brother, his innocence is so funny. How he speaks is funny (which is why we constantly copy him, sometimes I even carry it out to my other friends speaking that way but I don't know if they notice LOL). Whenever he says anything in Tagalog it makes us crack up because he sounds like a foreigner. His actions are so cute but it can also be annoying sometimes. :)) He always asks me the meaning to words I know but I can't explain like how do you explain trust?  

3 comments:

  1. awww cute nmn ng shoti mo :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. @mykel: haha! sometimes tinatanong ko kung okay ba suot ko HAHAHA saka siya pipili HAHAHA!

    @ken: weeeeeeh! hahaha that's my other shoti!

    ReplyDelete