Saturday, January 7, 2012

Baby you're a Firework

Twenty Twelve, it's still hard to get used to.

It's that time of the year again when you keep on getting the year of your dates on your documents and other things wrong again. Yipee! This year was more festive than last year, I gotta say it's turning out pretty good so far. This year we had fireworks again, after 10 years or so. Well, actually my niece told me we had fireworks last year but maybe it was just my depressed 'I'm lost with life' (having no job and all phase) that made me not want to celebrate the new year with colorful and noisy sparklers. Anyway this year was gonna be different, no more sulking, no more depression (even though my job calls for it) and no more sour graping (as of the moment teehee).

First off, I'd like to share how huge a turkey wing is. It's only my second time to have turkey and the first time was not really as memorable as I was still young and more picky in foods.
Here's a picture of the turkey wing:
HUUUGE right? Compared to a chicken wing it's like a whole chicken leg! We had a more exotic selection of food this year for Christmas, we also had Spanish bread with caviar, wasn't so much of a fan though. We also had cheesecake and chocolate cake from purple oven which was <3 heaven. Didn't take any pictures of the cake slices though. :))

This was for our noche buena, had no pics for media noche though. This year was definitely different. My sister and I also had our little celebration. We usually have dinners with the whole Ong clan so we figured we'd have something for the 'Guy-Ong' clan. :> We devoted a day for recipe searching, grocery buying and cooking. Made spaghetti Aglio e Olio (oil and garlic pasta) with sauteed shrimps, soy garlic wings and potato salad. We bought Welch's sparkling drink (non-alcoholic because we're wholesome like that) to spicen things up a bit. We were supposed to make leche flan and mango crepe too but we were too full to make and have dessert. 

It was a success but a messy one at that. It was a bit expensive too but what the heck right? It's only for one night and for the spirit of joy and celebration. :D Didn't take any pictures too, but I will next time, most definitely. It's better to share things with visuals. :))

Anyway back to the new year, this was the first time after 11 years or so of no fireworks for me. Yes within that 11 year period I was only watching fireworks from our rooftop. Last year, I didn't even take time to go upstairs or just watch from the window at home. This year I was more enthusiastic about it, I heard we were gonna have fireworks upstairs and firework gear it was! 

I remember when we were little, my mom would always dress us up like mummies under layers of clothing and we were like middle eastern women who had hijab's of course to protect us from the dirt and smoke. Going back, here are videos I took of our fireworks display to welcome the year twenty twelve. I picked only the best ones but we had like 6 or so.

This is my favorite :D It looks like rice crispies were thrown into the sky. :))


Here's another one:


and another one :D


It was a bit hard to video the whole thing because I had to look up and I got scared of the sparks from the afterfireworkmath. One set made my eyes so irritated I just held my phone up and just shot whatever I could without looking. If you're wondering about the guy who so non-chalantly fires the things up, he's my older cousin ahia Jerome. He actually lit an incense stick and used it to light the fireworks up. We're Chinese like that - booyeah!

It was fun. :D My sister and I had non-alcoholic sparkling wine to kick off the new year. 

Cheers to twenty twelve!

No comments:

Post a Comment